Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Open Relationships: Yay or Nay?

The other day over on Necole Bitchie's blog there was a big discussion about open relationships after she posted something about Jill Scott's and Chilli's thoughts on the subject. There were several other celebrities whose opinions were listed as well as a number of readers. This made me start to think about my feelings on the subject. To be honest, I have no desire to ever be in an open relationship, especially if that relationship is an actual marriage. I just don't see the point in being with someone with the understanding that stepping out of the relationship is okay.

I suppose the arguments in favor of open relationships can be viewed as relevant but I still disagree. One argument in favor of open relationships mentioned that even if you're with one person you can still be attracted to someone else, which I agree with. Just because you're committed to and in love with one person doesn't automatically make you dead to the rest of the world. However, that doesn't mean that you should act on it.

I personally feel that there's no point in having an open relationship, marriage in particular. I mean, what's the point of getting married if you're still gonna see/hook-up/sleep with other people outside the relationship. You may as well not even get married. I guess the big difference is that your partner knows what's going on but still. That wouldn't give me much comfort. It sounds like dating to me. There's a few people you like, maybe one more than others, but you're keeping your options open. To me that's not what a relationship is about. I feel like if you're gonna marry someone that person should be enough. Period. Sure you'll always find other people attractive and there's nothing wrong with that, but have some self control. Is it really THAT difficult? I don't think so.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Do what you want, it's your life.

That's all for now.


1 comment:

MissNissy =) said...

Totally agree. I think open-relationships are stupid. Why be in a relationship (marriage or otherwise) if you're only going to hook up with other people anyway. Like grow up and learn how to be with one person. Plus, why would you want to put someone you "love" in the position of being able to catch something from one of your jumpoffs. And, I have issued with body counts as it is. I think men and women should be under a certain number. How can we be together and yours is still growing *barf*