Thursday, June 3, 2010

Job Interview Nonsense

So after applying to practically every job that I'm just barely qualified for I finally got called for an interview for a nurse externship at a local hospital. For those who don't know, being a student nurse extern is probably the best job a student nurse can have. It's basically like paid clinical. It's great because you can get a real feel for what it will be like when you actually become a nurse and start working in the real world. You can also get much more time to learn and master skills than you get with a few hours of clinical a week.

Now for the crappy news. I interviewed for a position on a med/surg unit so they wanted a recommendation from my med/surg clinical instructor. Unfortunately for me, I took med/surg in the fall of 2008 and my former instructor no longer works at my school so I have no idea how to contact her. I was able to get a recommendation from my OB instructor after blowing up her email and phone for the past week but apparently that's not good enough. The nurse recruiter told me that she can't offer the position without a recommendation from the med/surg instructor. *sigh* FMMFL (that is: fuck my mother fucking life)

I do and I don't understand why this is necessary. I can understand why it would be better to have a recommendation from a med/surg instructor if I'm trying to get a job on a med/surg floor. On the other hand, I don't understand why the recommendation from my OB instructor isn't good enough. She can comment on my abilities the same way my old instructor would be able to. And on the form they give the instructors to fill out it asks for their opinion on my performance, time management, ability to teach, etc. which to me is something that anyone I've ever worked for can attest to, not just a clinical instructor for a particular unit. That's the part that really bugs me. The questions they ask in the recommendation are totally generic but they make a big deal about who it comes from. So annoying.

Now I have to call the secretary in the nursing department at my school to see if they have any kind of contact info for my old instructor which somehow I seriously doubt. I don't even know how long she's been gone. At the very least they should have her notes about me in my personal file so maybe I can at least get a copy of that to send the nurse recruiter. Anyway, that's all for now. Another trip to AC is in the works so I'll let everyone know how that goes. DEUCES!!!

1 comment:

dating diva said...

Good luck! Hope all goes well.

-Delilah