Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Obedient Wife

A while back a friend of mine on Twitter posted a question about how obedient a wife should be to her husband or something to that effect. I said that I didn't like the idea of obedience in marriage because to me it implies that the woman is subordinate to the husband. I feel like obedience means that she has to listen to him and do what he says, almost like a parent rather than a partner. Then my friend said something about how the Bible says that women are supposed to be obedient to their husbands to some extent or something like that *cough*bullshit*cough*.

After that last comment I just didn't reply because I knew it would probably lead to some type of argument and it wasn't worth it. Needless to say I completely disagree with the idea of a wife (or husband) being obedient to their partner in a marriage. Then the whole Bible aspect just really irked me because I don't believe that the Bible is something that should be taken literally word for word, but that's another issue for another day.

Anyway, like I said before, I think my issue with this is what the word 'obedient' represents to me. Maybe for other people it doesn't seem like such a bad thing but for me it almost seems like lock down. To me obedience sounds like submission, bowing down and being beneath someone which is NOT cool....especially in a relationship. What it basically boils down to is that if I'm in a relationship with someone, there is no reason why I feel I should have to 'obey' them. Last time I checked you weren't my father.

I think I'm ranting. Am I ranting? Anyway whatever, I just can't stand the idea of submissiveness in a romantic relationship. Take that love, honor and 'obey' crap back to the 20's or wherever it came from. Ok fine, keep the love and honor part(you know what I meant).


ps: I really don't like this post but here I am posting it anyway. Ha ha, oh well.

No comments: