Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Grad School...yay or nay?

This decision has been weighing on my mind lately. To be honest I never even considered the possibility of grad school until they handed out some survey in class about a new DNP program for nursing. I'm not graduating from school until next year but I'm so indecisive about everything I really need to start thinking seriously about this now.

First off, I don't NEED a masters degree. Once I graduate I'll have my BSN then I can take the NCLEX, get my RN license and be an official nurse. As an RN I can get a job and work anywhere and be totally fine. Bottom line is, a masters degree isn't necessary for me to have the career I want. Also, going for my masters means at least 2 more years of school, maybe 3 depending on the school and the type of program. I've already been in school much longer than I should have or wanted to be. With setbacks, being out of school for a period of time, and having to retake classes, I'm graduating way after I was supposed to. Because of this I really, REALLY don't want be in school any longer than absolutely necessary. Another thing is that more school also means more money, which means more student loans, which means more debt after I graduate. I'm already cringing at the thought of all the money I'm gonna owe when I finally do get out of this place. *sigh*

On the up side, with a masters degree I would be able to get a higher level job which means better pay and more authority. Nothing wrong with that. And of course, I'll be able to have more letters at the end of my name...Hahaha. Wow, way more negatives than positives for the masters degree so it's looking like a no but I'm still not entirely sure. Add to the negatives the fact that I would have to take that stupid GRE just to get into grad school...ugh.

Anyway, like I said I have no idea what I'm gonna do about this. I still have some time to decide and with school at least you know it's always there. But I think it would be harder to go back if I were out for a while, unlike if I just went straight through. *sigh* So many decisions.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I'm a bit biased, because if I could I'd go to school for the rest of my life.

But I think you should do it if money allows. It's the kind of thing that you might not "need" now, but you may wish you had later. My mother had a successful business career with a Bachelor's (which she actually got relatively late). An MBA would have been an expensive luxury when she started out. She told me, however, that by the time she was in her forties everyone at her level had MBA's and not having one really started to hurt her credibility. It was too late to go back at that point though (no time, a family, etc.).

On the flip side, she WAS successful and was always able to provide for herself and her family....

monica said...

I also say go 4 it if u can afford to. I know alot of my classmates can't afford to go to school full time and need to start working as soon as possible so if thats u then maybe bypass it. And its not true that u have to take the GRE to get into a master program, I know some programs that don't require it depending on what u wanna specialize in and some programs are only one year and u can do it all online, so there are more positives that u forgot about..lol. I stumbled upon ur blog 2day..follow me back on twitter @smplyme24..lol