Monday, May 24, 2010

Phlegmatic

I just happened to see the definition of the word phlegmatic online and I thought 'hey, that's me!' Ok, maybe it wasn't that exciting but you get the idea. Being the obsessive person I am of course I had to google the word and click on several different links with the definition and yep, that's me alright. Apparently phlegmatic is one of the four temperaments from psychology or whatever. I don't care that much about the details but the other three are sanguine, melancholic and choleric. Whenever I take those stupid facebook quizzes I always get melancholic but my friends always say that's not me and it's really not. If ever there was a perfect description of my personality, this is it (oh, MJ! RIP):


Phlegmatics tend to be self-content and kind. They can be very accepting and affectionate. They may be very receptive and shy and often prefer stability to uncertainty and change. They are very consistent, relaxed, rational, curious, and observant, making them good administrators and diplomats. Unlike the Sanguine personality, they may be more dependable.

A Phlegmatic is neutral - they tend not to actively upset people, but their indifference may frustrate people. They try not to make decisions, and generally go for the status quo. They care about people and harmony.
(ps: it's not that I try not to make decisions, I'm just horribly indecisive)

phleg·mat·ic [fleg-mat-ik]
–adjective
1.not easily excited to action or display of emotion; apathetic; sluggish.
2.self-possessed, calm, or composed. 
(Idk if I would call myself sluggish, but certainly apathetic)

Phlegmatic: This is the flat-type. They are easy going, laid back, nonchalant, unexcitable and relaxed. Desiring a peaceful environment above all else.
 
Here are some brief descriptions of the other personality types in case you're interested: 
 
Sanguine 
The Sanguine temperament personality is fairly extroverted. People of a sanguine temperament tend to enjoy social gatherings and making new friends. They tend to be creative and often daydream. However, some alone time is crucial for those of this temperament. Sanguine can also mean very sensitive, compassionate and thoughtful. Sanguine personalities generally struggle with following tasks all the way through, are chronically late, and tend to be forgetful and sometimes a little sarcastic. Often, when pursuing a new hobby, interest is lost quickly—when it ceases to be engaging or fun.



Choleric
A person who is choleric is a doer. They have a lot of ambition, energy, and passion, and try to instill it in others. They can dominate people of other temperaments, especially phlegmatic types. Many great charismatic military and political figures were cholerics. 

Melancholic
A person who is a thoughtful ponderer has a melancholic disposition. Often very kind and considerate, melancholics can be highly creative – as in poetry and art - and can become occupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. A melancholic is also often a perfectionist. They are often self-reliant and independent.

(I got all the definitions from Wikipedia and dictionary.com)

No comments: