Monday, March 29, 2010

White people and the 'N' word...wtf is going on?

A touchy subject that 'N' word isn't it? Once again I've been inspired by the situation of others. This all started with a Facebook status which just convinced me even more that Facebook can and will get you into trouble eventually. Anyway, on to the point of this post.

A white girl, who I'll call 'S', posted a rap lyric on her FB status using the N word (the 'a' version not the 'er' version). Just as a little background, this isn't the first time she's used n***a in a status of hers but I'm not entirely sure if they've been song lyrics in the past. Also her kid is half black so I'm pretty sure she's not racist. Anyway, back on topic....after she made this comment my friend, who I'll call 'L', commented on her status saying something to the effect of 'do you really need to use the N word?' From that point it got a little heated because S got all pissy and started throwing attitude and L threw it right back, etc. You know how that whole thing goes. Then another white girl, M, commented that she thought it was okay as long as it ends in 'a' and not 'er.' *sigh* And that's why I'm writing this.

To all my white friends out there it is NOT okay to use the N word ever for any reason. I don't care how "down" you think you are or if you think you have a so called "hood pass" or if you grew up around Black people your entire life. It's just not cool. Period. I don't even like when Black people use the word too much. People are just way too comfortable throwing it around these days and I just don't get it. Hell even Hispanics use is sometimes (for examples, see Fat Joe and other Latino rappers). That whole 'we took the word and turned into something positive' BS excuse that Black people try to use is just that...bullshit. How the hell do you turn a derogatory term into something positive? Is that even possible? Just another lame ass excuse if you ask me.

And before anyone asks, yes I have used the 'a' version of the word in the past and probably will again in the future. Is it right just because I'm Black? No. Is it okay because I'm Black? Maybe. At the very least it's less wrong, if that makes sense. In any case, I'm working on not using the N word at all which is completely doable. Sometimes it's the first word I think of but it's really not that hard to stop and think for a second before you actually say something out loud. I think the worst part is that I know better yet I've still used it but I'm trying. What can I say, I'm still a work in progress.

No comments: