Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Ship Has a Major Leak in It

So remember that job interview last month that I totally bombed? No, well that's probably because I never wrote a blog post about it. It was probably my worst interview EVER which is difficult because I suck at interviews anyway. But to my surprise I just got a call for a job offer for that very position...yay! In case you're wondering it's a student nursing assistant position in pediatric oncology. Cool shit if you ask me. It's been almost a month since the interview but the lady told me they interviewed a lot of people. Of course I was all too eager to accept since I'm broke and I've been jobless for way longer than I care to admit. And then the other shoe dropped.

They only do orientation for the job every other week and it's a three day thing so you have to be available to do it all three days. Unfortunately the most recent one started Monday. Too bad I didn't get this call last week huh? The next orientation isn't until August 30th but of course this also happens to be the day that I start school again, in another state. I certainly can't take 3 days off school to do an orientation, especially if one of those days is a clinical day. The next time I would be available is for winter break starting in December but of course the orientation starting on December 13th is also the same day that finals week starts. Gotta love that. The next one is January 3rd. The lady said she's gonna see if they would be willing to hold the position for me until January.

It's possible because it's only a casual status position with no benefits so it's basically me showing up if and when they need me. She also made it clear that there's no guarantee of hours. But then again if they were looking they obviously need someone so I can't be mad if they're not willing to wait. I guess I'm just gonna have to wait for the phone to ring again and keep my fingers crossed. If I get this foot in the door now it'll put me that much closer to getting an RN position at this hospital after I graduate next year which is exactly what I want. Wish me luck!

No comments: