Monday, December 6, 2010

"Digitally Dying" Celebrities

I'm sure by now most people have heard about this campaign/fundraiser that Alicia Keys is having for her Keep a Child Alive foundation. The idea is that celebrities will "digitally die" and stop using Twitter, Facebook and other social networking sites until $1 million is raised for the foundation. The last time I checked they had only raised about $280,000 but it could be more by now. I believe the whole thing started on World AIDS Day which was December 1st and it's been nearly a week so you would think they would have raised more by now but I'm honestly not surprised they haven't. There are so many problems with this I don't know where to start:

  • The first problem is that the entire premise is completely narcissistic. These people assumed that their fans were gonna be so broken up about not seeing their precious tweets that they would run out and donate buckets of money. WRONG! I'm a fan of a lot of the people involved in this (in case you're wondering, some of the celebs involved include Usher, Swizz Beats, Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Hudson, and Justin Timberlake). However, if all the celebrities I follow on twitter stopped tweeting right now I honestly can't say I would care too much. Sure it's interesting to follow your favorite celebrities but I could live without it.
  • The other problem is that they started with a minimum amount to donate. Admittedly I haven't done very much research on the subject but it's my understanding that there was originally a $10 minimum donation requirement. Really?! I think that for a charity people should be encouraged to donate whatever they can, whether it be $1 or $100 because every little bit helps. If every single fan of the people I mentioned all donated $1 they would have far surpassed the million dollar goal by now. I've heard that they reduced the minimum donation to $1 so at least that's something but to be honest I don't think it will help much. 
  • Furthermore, all the money that they put into taking those idiotic coffin pictures could have gone towards the cause they're trying to raise money for. I can't for the life of me understand why these obscenely rich people insist on soliciting donations from their fans who are living paycheck to paycheck if that! Instead of tweeting every hour how you're "dead" and need your fans to "buy your life back" how about donating some of those millions burning a whole in your pocket to the cause you claim to be so passionate about.
Pardon the long ass post but this entire thing just pisses me off. I don't know who told Alicia Keys this was a good idea but they lied.

"If you don't know, now you know." ~Biggie

No comments: