Thursday, November 11, 2010

Movie Review: For Colored Girls




I'm gonna keep this pretty brief.

I have to say that overall I really liked it. It's not my favorite movie but I'd definitely watch it more than once. It was a little awkward at times when the characters started reciting their monologues/poems or whatever they were. There were a couple that just didn't quite seem to fit into the moment and if you aren't familiar with the play or book (like myself) then it comes of as really random. The first couple of times I didn't even realize what they were talking about but then it started to make sense.

I don't want to give anything away but the scene with the kids was just INSANE. I was so shocked I couldn't even believe it. Then there was the one part with Macy Gray that was also pretty crazy. I also heard that Mariah Carey and Jurnee Smollett were originally supposed to play the characters played by Thandie Newton and Tessa Thompson (respectively). To be honest, I can't imagine Mariah in that role AT ALL. Not even a little bit. But I can totally picture Jurnee as Tessa's character (sorry, I don't remember their names).

Anyway like I said, I thought it was a good movie and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.....not just "colored" girls.

No comments: