Sunday, July 24, 2011

Random Thoughts on Surrogacy

I don't know why but earlier today I just randomly started thinking about surrogacy. I'm mostly thinking about whether it's a good idea or not verses other methods of conceiving kids or even adoption. There's good and bad with everything I suppose but I never thought much about the problems with surrogacy. Not saying for everyone but for myself, there are some issues I would seriously have to consider before going down that road if the time came.

The Good: The potential couple could have their own biological child without worrying about being the next Jon and Kate. Unless I'm wrong and please correct me if I am. It's my understanding that in most cases you can take your own fertilized egg and implant it into a woman so she gives birth to YOUR biological child. Correct? I'm sure there's more good than this but I'm drawing a blank right now.

The Bad: If I were to ever consider using a surrogate, my biggest fear would be that she would grow attached to the baby and want to keep it after it's born. I would imagine there are laws to address such things but I don't know for sure. I'm mean legally the person who gives birth to the child is the mother right? Anyone remember that episode of Law & Order: SVU with the fertility clinic? The biological mom took the birth mom to trial for custody of her child because of a mess up at the fertility clinic they both went too. Messy, messy.

The other "bad" that I was thinking of today is the behavior of the surrogate mom. You assume that's she's taking care of her body and not doing anything that would potentially harm the baby but there's no way of knowing for sure. It's not like you can be with the surrogate 24/7 and monitor her activities, meals, etc. I'd probably be freaking out everyday wondering if she was treating this baby as if it were her own and being extra careful. But as I said, there's no way to know for sure.

That's all I have to say really. Like I said this just randomly popped into my head. That's all for now.

No comments: