Saturday, February 5, 2011

About Grad School......

So, after much deliberation about whether or not I wanted to attend grad school I've decided that yes, I do. It's taken me a while to get here but I realized that as much as I hate the thought of even more school, I REALLY want to get my master's and be a nurse practitioner. Yay me! I'm graduating in May and I'm really not trying to start school up again this fall so I'm gonna take at least a year off before I jump back into the trenches.

After I finally decided that I actually wanted to go to grad school, I had to decide exactly what I want to specialize in which was yet another challenge. At first I wanted to do family health, then for about 5 minutes I thought I wanted to do pediatrics but that must have been a momentary psychotic lapse. I have a job in peds now and I like it but I really don't think I'd want to make that my life's work. It's cool but I'm not really passionate about it. Finally I realized that what I really want to do is women's health. It's perfect because it incorporates by favorite patient population: adolescent girls, women and their babies. I really want to focus on maternity, pre & postpartum and sexual/reproductive health. But I'm also interested in possibly working with domestic abuse victims. Either way women's health is my best bet. Not quite as broad as family health but it's more focused on what I really want to do.

Now the only problem is figuring out where I want to apply....decisions, decisions

No comments: