Monday, September 26, 2011

What's the Deal with the Pledge of Allegiance?

The other day I posted on Twitter about how my mom refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance in school when she was a kid because she didn't think it was true. She was a black girl growing up in the 50s and 60s so I completely understand why she would feel that way. Anyway, it inspired me to make a little blog post about the subject so here I am. You're welcome *in my Sadie from Awkward voice*. Now here's how the pledge reads today:

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Apparently the pledge was originally written in 1892 and formally adopted by Congress in 1942. FYI, it's been modified four times before being finalized with the version we hear today. Quite frankly that's about as much of a history lesson as I feel like giving so if you want more info, Google it. Now right off the bat, as a black woman, I can see the obvious problems with this pledge. It's a damn lie. But before we get into that, let's talk about the "under God" part of our little pledge. Whatever happened to separation of church and state? I mean, is that something they just made up in the history books? Clearly the two things have not been separated. In fact, it seems the government has a really bad habit of getting involved in religious matters or involving religion as a way to justify things but let's not go there.

Now for the biggest lie ever in existence, "with liberty and justice for all." Please, don't make me laugh. Liberty and justice for ALL is practically nonexistent in America and especially during the 40s when the pledge was adopted. Let's be real. It all started with the Native Americans. Sure, they'd like us to believe the pilgrims and Native Americans were all buddy buddy but we know that's not really the case. We've all seen Pocahontas right? Okay, bad example but you get what I'm saying. Anyway, to make a long story short I can totally understand why someone would be against reciting the pledge because it really doesn't ring true. Just my opinion.

What do you think?

No comments: